Bucharest Reproves Article on Ethnic Roma in British MediaPublish date: 15-01-2007
Bucharest - President of National Council To Fight Discrimination, or CNCD, Csaba Asztalos, claims the attitude of British printed press against the Romanian citizens is hostile, degrading and humiliating, as a reaction to an article in Daily Mail pointing out the ethnic Roma in Romania would be on the verge to "invade" Great Britain.
"I publicly reprove these articles against Romania, which are part of the disinformation campaign started in Great Britain sometimes ago. These articles are bias, and witness a wrong attitude towards the Romanian citizens as well as towards the ethnic Roma.
The data are neither statistically accurate nor compared with those in other countries, are not based upon reality and are generalized," Csaba Asztalos said. The negative campaign of some of the UK's magazines against Romania is a foreign affairs matter, and only the Ministry of Foreign Affairs can have a reaction. In lack of such reactions, Romanian citizens will be subject to a hostile, degrading and humiliating attitude.
"The picture of Romanians 'swan-eater' of some 10 years ago is commercial or meets a certain political stand, as Great Britain prepares for elections. UK has a council to fight discrimination that should be informed on these articles," Asztalos also said.
The executive director of Romani Criss organization Magda Matache said nobody has any official information according to which the ethnic Roma citizens want to leave Romania. "Some two million ethnic Roma citizens live in Romania and it is hard to say for sure, on ethnic criteria, whether they choose to leave the country. I know nothing about this issue," Matache said.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei